Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mordor Wall

I went back to tackle the Mordor Wall again with Dunbar yesterday. It went all right, but not perfectly. We ended up doing the first three pitches and then bailing. We weren't moving particularly quickly, I was spooked by a slopey bat hook, a sketchy top-step, and a lot of running water, and time was running out. The sketchy top-step occurred because of the slopey bat hook, in fact. I'd set my talon, "ooze" onto the placement, and shriek when it fell out. Dunbar, on the other hand, led the second pitch, a bolted bat hook traverse, and seemed quite nonchalant. He's calmer than I am on stuff like this. I need time to get into a comfort zone; he seems at home. It's admirable. Anyways, more talking would only bore you, so here are a bunch of pictures:

Me leading the first pitch.

At a belay. There's a lot of stuff.

Dunbar jugging on a beautiful fall day.

Dunbar leading on the bat hook traverse.

Dunbar climbing out of Mordor.

Am I hooking a bolt with a grappling hook? Um, yes.

Dunbar looking like a stoic Russian general here. He's
usually more jovial than this, but you can't tell from this
picture!

Rack for the day: doubles in the C3s, double C4s up to 2",
double BD stoppers and micro nuts, 18 draws, a bunch of
hooks, etc. Can you identify everything in the picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment