Monday, April 12, 2010

Gunks

Dave and I met up with Dunbar and Karen, along with a host of other HMC lookalikes. Actually, I quite like these lookalikes, but I'm too tired to list them off now. It was my first time doing anything hard there, and certainly my first time leading any horizontal roofs in gear. Today we found ourselves rapping in the dark due to a "uh oh, this pitch is too hard" moment (not my fault!). I hate rapping in the dark or even climbing anytime near dark, but evidently others don't consider this much of a restriction. Nonetheless, I would declare the weekend a success. I'm going to miss Dunbar and Karen as they make their way to one of those strange states I've haven't visited. Karen is leading pretty well these days. She's come a long way. We were remarking today that we were impressed she's led ice now. And what can I say about Dunbar? He got a haircut, but still has the straggly beard. I told him that was precisely the sort of unkempt personal hygiene that would get him placed on a security watchlist. However, he assured me he would shave before taking up his new job, in a misguided attempt to convince people that he is, not, in fact a climbing dirtbag who lives in his car. As we were chilling out between climbs today, Dave and I chatted with some nearby climbers, and they asked if one of us was Dunbar because some crazy person had been querying the skies for Dunbar periodically from the bottom of the cliff at a considerable volume. I convinced them he was our spiritual leader, which I think they half believed. Climbing is no fun without a considerable amount of bullshit, as long as it doesn't involve tangled ropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment