Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Positive Thinking?

I wish this were about the route of the same name in the Daks, but it is actually about this:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1909019,00.html

People are always telling me to think more positively, and it seems like that might actually be counterproductive. Well, to be fair, I think psychotherapy, and for that matter, psychology and psychiatry, while sometimes undeniably helpful, are somewhat pseudoscientific. Along with the bias I have that says social science studies like this often have some sort of agenda, I do take the whole thing with a grain of salt. But nonetheless, I think it's common sense that striving for realistic pronouncements, and general honesty with yourself, is often helpful. Of course, if you're on lead, and you need to lie to yourself to make it work, then by all means. But once you're on the ground, don't tell yourself you're a 5.12 climber when you don't have any arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment